Here it is: the finished product. Boeuf Bourguignon a la Julia Child. I don't know how or why anyone would want to cook this way on a daily basis, but it was fun for an afternoon! I can't say this is the best meal that ever hit my tongue, but it was pretty good beef stew. Just so much preparation! Every individual part had to be prepared a certain way before it all came together (as opposed to crock-potting or slow cooking everything together at once, which is probably what I would have done). Yet the aroma was AMAZING! In fact it still strongly lingers in the house today.
In a way, this is totally symbolic of the offerings prepared by the Israelites before the Lord at the Tabernacle. I've been reading in Exodus and Leviticus about these. God required Israel to make daily, weekly, monthly, and annual sacrifices to atone for their sin, but also to fellowship with him. The various offerings (sin, guilt, burnt, grain, drink, and peace) seemed ridiculously complicated, specific, and monotonous to do with all the individual required steps. But in completion, they brought such a joyful, sweet aroma to the Lord. Most importantly, they provided the Israelites with a clean slate before him.
The offerings symbolized acknowledgment and clearing of sin, God's continual love and provision, restoration to one another, the joy of surrender, and fellowship and reconciliation to God. Worth every step! But I am sure glad that God offered his son Jesus to be the final sacrifice once and for all, so we don't have to go through all that anymore! A perfect sacrifice. (No Boeuf Bourguignon every day!) What a deal.
Today, we have the opportunity as Paul writes in Philippians 2 to offer our lives poured out before the Lord in service to him and others. Just like the wine in last night's dinner totally enriched the flavor of the beef, and the drink offering enhanced the aroma of the sacrifice before Israel's God, our lives offered as poured out wine before God enhances our relationship with him and those around us. Our freewill sacrifice still pleases him - a soothing aroma. We can worship God and fellowship with him every day!
Like the verse from one of my favorite hymns:
Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself, and I will be ever, only, all for Thee.
Yes, please.
P.S. Speaking of beef, we're waiting to hear back from DU to see if Tim has been accepted into its religious studies Master's program for the Fall! Yikes!!
No comments:
Post a Comment