Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Butter and Other Fat Tuesday Reflections

Alright, it's time to take time to be more thoughtful. Instead of giving something up for Lent, I've decided to add something - a more intentional reflection on God's faithfulness to my daily routine. Yes, this means spending more time in his Word and devotions etc, but I'd also like to document the best highlights along the way. "Hello, blog!"

Hopefully this takes shape through a daily (?) post - sometimes simple, sometimes/likely lengthy and disorganized.  I apologize in advance, especially to anyone who's not much of a blog reader and will potentially feel waaaaay behind if you've only checked this blog on, say, a biweekly occasion at best. There will be no catching up for you for the next 40 days. So be freed from this pressure ahead of time!

Maybe, this is my way of engaging more in the world from home, and I admit I might be slightly inspired by Amy Adams and Meryl Streep (hence Julia Child's Beouf Bourguignon we're making for dinner tonight! By the way, how in the world did Julia (in Julia & Julia) not gain 40 pounds by cooking through Julia Child's cookbook in a year??), but hopefully by Easter I can look back and really, really see greater evidence of God's working in the lives of the Eyes.  Because He's always working, we just don't always take the best notice. As Julia would say, He is"the butter on my bread, the breath in my life."

 Join me if you like, or comment on the rich, creamy goodness of God in your own life:)

P.S. I had a delightful pre-Fat Tuesday dessert celebration last night that I'd urge anyone to try: Dark chocolate M&M's, crunched up graham crackers, half pistachio gelato, half Starbucks coffee ice cream, all in a nice, big bowl. Thank you, God. Anyone remember The Mix in Seattle's U District? In college we used to drive all the way from Tacoma and back just to go there before they closed at midnight. My favorite was raspberries and cookie dough mixed into sweet cream ice cream, in a waffle cone. Reminds me of Proverbs 4:18: "Taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him." Amen.

OK, I'm off to find me some Beouf.  Sounds perfect for this blustery day.
The start of snow on the roof outside our window.

2 comments:

mike and hillary said...

ooooooh, i love it! i kinda want to do it too!

The Eyes said...

do it Hill! I'd love to follow along.