Saturday, April 30, 2011

Work

I found this illustration in GOOD Magazine, and I love it. Since Avery's been born, I've been thinking about what "work" means to me. It is finding joy in working hard for whatever is set before me, whether official employment that yields a paycheck, or a flesh and bone baby that yields serious delight. The top colorful depiction of "work" is how I hope to view and celebrate achievement, rather than the bottom stoic, empty depiction. How do you feel about the work set before you? How can you make it more like the top?

"Take heed to the ministry which you have received in the Lord, that you may fulfill it." -Colossians 4:17.

In a study I've been doing on Worship from the Tabernacle, we looked at the priestly appointment of the Levites as God's designed ministers. His selection and their duty to Him were very specific; their ministry received, not achieved. Sometimes I wonder if we're trying to achieve work we have in mind for ourselves, before the Lord, instead of receiving what He designed for us.

Paul wrote, "But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, in order that I may finish my course, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus." - Acts 20:24

Makes us think about who, and what, we are working for.

No comments: